12m Mersey Class Boat Kingdom of Fife
Anstruther IB1 D667
James & Mary Walker
The James & Mary Walker Community Restoration project (J&MW CRP)
third Lifeboat -'James & Mary Walker' has now been returned to Anstruther
to start a restoration process
that will hopefully see her restored to her former glory and on display to the public close to the lifeboat station.
J&MW CRP committee have now formulated a programme and work packages against
of the work content and cost to restore the old Lifeboat. A profession hull survey has been undertaken
and confirms that the vessel is in very good condition for its age.
J&MW has been registered with the National Historic Ship Register at Greenwich,
Lifeboat Enthusiasts Society and RNLI Heritage Department.
An application for a Historic Lottery Grant is being considered, though additional funding is required.
is hoped to arrange sponsors to support the initial works in exchange for continued
publicity when the
James & Mary Walker is on display within Anstruther harbour area.
Any information regarding the James & Mary Walker would be appreciated, as would any offer of assistance.
Please contact Roger Grundy - see Index page
James & Mary Walker serving Anstruther
Anstruther third Lifeboat -'James & Mary Walker' arriving in Anstruther
on 30 July 1904 and
launched at the naming ceremony on 10 September 1904
The crew of the 'James & Mary Walker' lifeboat, the morning after the Angster service call 14 February 1910
RETURNING TO ANSTRUTHER
As found in 2010 renamed 'Ishbarra' in Beaumaris and returning to Anstruther 23/06/10
Temporary home in Fife Council yard, with young helper Charlie
Located within a building kindly provided by Toby Anstruther.
Ready for the restoration - much work to do - More information to follow
Progress is being made
Photo by Roger Grundy 25/01/12
has proceeded on the hull, cleaning off the old paint and removing the grease
the bilge's are given a coat of protective paint.
The old engine mountings (from its previous use) have been removed, the mountings were over
one of the two drop keels originally fitted. The other drop keel has been removed for repair
and storage, the keel may be refitted or kept for separate display.
Photo by Roger Grundy 16/02/12
Bilges being cleaned out and prepared for painting, drop keel slot cleaned and false keel at stern removed.
. . . .
Photo by Roger Grundy 03/04/12
Work on the stern and aft posts.